Friday, June 21, 2019

Get Real!!!!!!

We decided not to take one of the ship's tours in Kagoshima, Japan, because we were tired of being on tour buses and listening to long-winded guides. Instead, we took the shuttle to downtown Kagoshima to explore the town on our own. While we were walking, we noticed people staring at us because we looked so different than they did (it is easy to blend in with the crowd in Europe as long as you don't wear white athletic shoes, but Japan is a different story). While waiting in line at the restroom in a large department store to use the "squatty potty", the lady behind me looked at me and said in a friendly voice, "Welcome to Kagoshima". I thought to myself - now how did she know that I was a visitor. Then I realized - "Get real" because there was no way that I, with my European background, could blend in with the native Japanese.

Buying a bracelet and earrings in the department store was also an adventure. The salesgirl spoke no English and I spoke no Japanese. After she gave me a bow, to show that I was an honored customer, I pointed to my wrist and ears to tell her what I wanted. We communicated in sign language and after I made my choice, she carefully cleaned the jewelry before putting it in a box and bowed again to thank me for my business. I felt that she really appreciated my purchasing something in her department, rather than having to look all over the store to beg someone to take my money like I do at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment