Friday, June 21, 2019

Traveling Light


I have given presentations on traveling light and tell my participants to do as I advise, not to do as I usually do and take too much with me.  I should follow my own advice and take out of my suitcase half the items I put in it to begin with.

Fortunately, there are clothes made for travelers that do not wrinkle and can be washed and hung to dry overnight without problems. Unfortunately, these clothes are a little heavier than twill pants but fortunately not as heavy as jeans. I have pants in several colors since I also wear for dress occasions. I hope I can squeeze an extra pair of shoes in my luggage as well as makeup, toiletries, sleeping attire, underwear, medicines, etc.

Fortunately I have been to Paris before and know where I am going. Last time I went alone I had no problems with a backpack and a 21-inch carry-on going over there but when I went to board the plane to return to the U.S., the official told me I would have to check one of them because the backpack was too large and too full to be considered a personal item. I had several things in the backpack that I definitely did not want to leave at the mercy of U.S. Airways (we had had problems before with checked luggage coming through Charles de Gaulle) so I ended up going to the restroom and completely repacking. Fortunately I had a small bag in my luggage that I had used as a daypack so I was able to get everything in that and the backpack and check the 21-inch. When I got to Philadelphia, I was able to get it to take as a carry-on on the plane back to Alabama since it would have to go underneath the communter plane anyway. I was very appreciative of this since I wanted to change clothes before leaving Philadelphia. I don't think there will be a problem with an 18-inch (I hope).

As I have mentioned before, airlines are cracking down on carry-on luggage that is too large and won't fit wheels first in the overhead compartments.

Cruises have lightened up on their "formal" nights due to the weight restrictions on luggage as well as the number of pieces that can be checked without charges.  I take only one or two pants and maybe a skirt to use on dress-up nights and my husband takes a wrinkle-proof sport coat that he uses on more than one formal night.  He 
also doesn't take a suit and tie and now takes casual shoes that can be worn for dress as well.  We still take too much usually because we are traveling in more than one climate and need clothes for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment